Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Almond Joy Double Chocolate Cookies




Whoever came up with the idea that Almond Joy and coffee are a perfect match is a genius. It so delicious that next cake I’m throwing an Almond Joy in there. Maybe three.

Following day I packed my ingredients and headed over to mom’s kitchen ready to take my family’s taste buds on a little island vacation. With the recent birthday I had just celebrated, cake and I were on a much needed break. Cookies felt like the way to go for a nice little tropical snack.

Prep: 20 to 25 mins
Bake: 12 to 15 minutes
Yield: 40 cookies
Cool: 10 minutes


Almond Joy Double Chocolate Cookies
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 Almond Joy bars, chopped

1. Let butter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes and preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl beat butter on medium speed until smooth, about 30 to 35 seconds. Occasionally increase speed.

2. Add in both sugars 1/4 cup at a time and beat until well combined. Add egg and vanilla beating on medium just until combine after each addition.

3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to batter until combined. Add chopped almond joys and mix in on medium.

4. With a small ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoons drop dough about 2 inches apart on sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Bake 12-15 minutes.

5. Cookies will be very soft but bottoms should be firm enough to remove from pan and place on cooling rack. After about 10 minutes cookies should be firm and ready to enjoy!

Recipe Inspiration: Kathleen King’s Double Chocolate Almond Cookies

Sweet Flukes
I missed the brown sugar step! I missed the step that gives a cookie its gooeyness! I got all my ingredients ready and was in the zone with the prepping. At first I thought, “Crap! I used regular sugar instead of brown.” If that had been the case I was too far gone and the damage was done. Thankfully the recipe asked for both sugars so I just added the brown sugar at the end said a little prayer.

Cookies were family approved but definitely need to be enjoyed with a tall glass of milk. They had such a strong dark chocolate and almond flavor which you can’t really go wrong with you. The coconut flavor was very faint. Next batch is going to need a little coconut milk and shavings to guarantee that tropical flavor.

1 comment:

  1. How ironic, I had a really rough day today at the track, I'd really like a cookie.

    ReplyDelete